Vestibular physiotherapy is a specialized form of physical therapy designed to help individuals who are experiencing problems with their vestibular system. The vestibular system is responsible for maintaining balance, spatial orientation, and coordinating eye movements. When this system becomes disrupted, it can result in symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo, imbalance, nausea, and vision issues.
Vestibular physiotherapy aims to alleviate these symptoms by using specific exercises and techniques that target the central nervous system’s ability to adapt to and compensate for vestibular dysfunction. We are thrilled to have Bernards Tonks on our team at The Health League. Bernard is a vestibular physiotherapist with over 35 years of experience in musculoskeletal and neurological rehabilitation. Bernard’s career has been dedicated to the treatment of vestibular, balance, disequilibrium and dizziness conditions. He is also well known among his colleagues for instructing courses in vestibular rehabilitation and concussion management throughout Canada and across the globe.
Co-Management at The Health League
Bernard works closely with the other professionals in our clinic to manage each case safely and effectively. Bernard will provide recommendations if he feels you would benefit from therapies offered by our other practitioners.
What to expect from your appointment with Bernard:
- A throughout review of your medical history
- A comprehensive vestibular assessment
- Education on your condition: what to do and how to achieve
- your goals
- An individualized treatment plan
- Advice on co-management if required
- Home care and rehabilitative activities
Our Process At The Health League
- Book an initial exam so we can understand your history/situation
- In-depth testing to determine any biomechanical causes
- Plan your course of treatment – we generally start to see results within 2-4 appointments then plan from there
- Discharge – Once our professionals feel your condition has sufficiently improved, you will be discharged. If any issues arise or continue to occur we encourage you to return.